Thursday, January 22, 2009

Quality not Quantity

I know I have been MIA and I apologize. My excuse is that my writing capacities have been taken up by applications to Master’s programs. Since my writing tank was pretty much on empty, I did not want to dilute the quality of this blog so I refrained from writing about uninteresting topics such as “what comes first, cereal, or milk?” or the number of papayas I ate on that particular day (papayas, the new crack cocaine?). I’ve also been traveling for the past several weeks to get in some quality vacation time before I hunker down and begin training for the race.

With that said, the “Official” 5 month training program started on Monday so yesterday was training day numero 3. I definitely did my part to prepare myself to begin the training program (yes, there is a prerequisite level of fitness in order to begin training for the race), but I am BEAT! Maybe I woke up on the wrong side of the bed 3 days in a row, am eating the wrong cereal (somebody Google Translate “Wheaties” for me please) or maybe it is because I have just begun.

I have always encountered the most difficult period during the beginning of any experience. At boot camp, the training regimen was consistently more challenging with each passing week; however, I recall the first few weeks to be the most trying period. While working upwards of 100 hours a week at UBS, I struggled the most during the first few months of employment.

I believe that in every meaningful undertaking, you will reach a breaking point where you can either turn back, or fight through. Since many people turn back in these situations, I believe that what you do at the fork in the road not only sets you apart, but also defines you.

Are you going to be discouraged after your first glimpse of choppy seas? Are you willing to do what it takes to reach your goal? Are you willing to sacrifice for what you believe in?

I believe in this cause. Though I have not quite reached the breaking point yet, I know that when I do, I will fight through it because though I may be beat, I will not be beaten.

No comments: